Painting Stuffed Fables: Lumpy

Continuing our painting journey through Jerry Hawthorn's Stuffed Fables we turn our attentions to the eeyore-like member of the group, Lumpy, the sombre stuffed elephant armed with a meat mallet!  


Lumpy was my favourite stuffy from the moment I opened the box and I was really looking forward to putting the tickle sticks to work on him. 


I began with a base coat of P3 Ironhull Grey...


...and while it was still wet I added in some P3 Frostbite and started blending in some highlights.


Next I added in his ears using a smidge of P3 Khador Red and lots of P3 Carnal Pink. Adding in white to the mix for highlights.


Taking my drybrush, and making sure the bristles were nice and supple by soaking it in water before drying it off, I dry brushed in some more highlight layers using a mix of Ironhull Grey and Frostbite, working up to just pure Frostbite, concentrating on the front of the face, the belly and the ears. 


Next it was time to add in his shirt. I used P3 Cygnar Base Blue for the base and then wet blended in some P3 Arcane Blue as a highlight. Finally I edged the shirt with some pure Arcane blue.


Taking some Ironhull Grey and a really thin brush I painted in the seam down Lumpy's face. I'm using Ironhull Grey, rather than black as it's a more forgiving colour. If you make a mistake with black the eye sees the contrast far easier than with a dark grey. I also picked out the stitches, the eyebrows and mouth. 


The eyes were added in using black and highlighted with Ironhull Grey. The fingernails were picked out in Frostbite. 


For the Meat Mallet I started with a base coat of P3 Jack bone


Mixing in some P3 Menoth White Highlight I added some highlights before using some Army Painter Soft Tone to pick out the banding around the mallet. I added some white to the eyes using my pointed clay shaper and washed the spikes on the mallet using some silver mixed with GW Lahmian Medium. 


I edged the joined between the silver and the wood with a little bit of Ironhull Grey and added some GW 'ardcoat to the eyes. His base was finished using Cygnar Base Blue, mixing in Frostbite and wet blending until I was happy with it.


And there we have him. Simple, but effective, plus he's really good with that mallet!

Until next time, have fun painting. 

The Duke

Comments

  1. First off, THANK YOU for these posts for Stuffed Fables. I am new to the painting miniatures thing so it is SUPER helpful to see color suggestions and whatnot!

    Perhaps I missed it in a post elsewhere, but do you prime these miniatures? My husband insists that they need primed but I haven't seen anywhere that states that.

    Thank you again!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Jonesey. I don't prime in general because I'm very lazy. Some of the models took paint better than others so they probably should be primed, although I just used Citadel Base colours on one's where the paint wasn't sticking. When I do prime I use "Army Painter" sprays which come in a variety of colours. I always use a lighter undercoat, greys, creams anything off-white really, but not white or black as both are difficult to cover afterwards. Hope that helps.

      Cyrus

      Delete
    2. Autocorrect changed my name to Cyrus from Chris! D'oh!

      Delete

Post a Comment