Workbench 05/05/14

Keep your eyes peeled next week for a much requested bone tutorial, but right now here is a workbench update with all my unfinished minis plus some exclusive paint jobs that have yet to pop up on other forums Open-mouthed smile 

P5051039

So, here are some of my incomplete adventurers. The female fighter feels too bland to me right now but I don’t know how to spice her up. The colours in the pic are a little off, her shield is much darker than shown. The Elf Magic User is very pink. I decided to go for an outlandish colour scheme with her. Part of me thinks it works. I have decided she needs some serious freehand on her cloak to really make this a special miniature. The packbearer in the back of the shot is finished. He will represent the young Siegfried from the challenge series I was running on the OW forum. He doesn’t have his pack attached yet as I want to take photos of him without his gear first, but dont have the terrain I want to shoot him against yet!

P5051038

And this is an experiment in trying to paint a matt white with very subtle shading. I’ve given up several times here. White is very had to do well and I get disheartened with my results.

P5051037

And here we have a clue about what minis I might be using for the bone tutorial! I also have the base coated wizard and mule for the completed adventurers cart, you can see it in this shot here:

P4250996

There is also the dwarf mercenary and owl extras from the OW Indiegogo campaign, my second unfinished OW giant crab and a miniature I plan to use for Belthir, one of the lieutenants in Descent 2nd Edition.

And now your exclusive sneak peaks. First up, my Giant Lizard.

P4250988

P4250989

This mini went through a lot of colours before arriving at this one. I was basing my scheme originally on a komodo dragon, which would have had a slightly darker tone than the one i ended up with, similar to the image below.

P4250992

Either way I’m very happy with the results. I originally intended the pattern to be more splodgy but as I applied repeated coats the dots naturally became more defined.

And next up, proving that I can paint with something other than dots… my giant crab!

P4251018

Wait a minute… This one is all dots too!

Really happy with this one, the only part I’m unsure of is the claws. I wanted to make them whiter than they are but each time I did the black was too contrasting so I washed them down and tried to add highlights again, leading to about 6 coats of paint! In the end I settled for what I had.

P4251019

Let me know what you think the comments below. Thanks for looking.

The Duke

Comments

  1. The lizard and crab look outstanding. The dot technique suits both subjects perfectly.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment